Rules for TFA Scholarship
- Request for application and essay topic shall be by a written request to the scholarship chairman of TFA after November 1 and postmarked no later than January 31. Chairman will release the essay topic to the applicant after January 1.
- Application and essay must be returned to the TFA scholarship chairman postmarked no later than March 1.
- Applicants must be the son or daughter of an active, retired, or deceased member of Texas Fireman's Auxiliary or State Firefighters' and Fire Marshals' Association.
- Applicants must be a graduating high school senior or a current college/vocational tech student to apply.
- No reference shall be made in the essay to the city, fire department or district the applicant is associated with. Violation will exempt essay from consideration.
- Essays shall be no less than 100 words, however, should not exceed one page. The form provided is required and must be used.
- Only double-spaced typed essays will be accepted. When using a computer, the font should be Times New Roman or Arial and should not be smaller than 12-point font.
- The only identification on the essay shall be the applicant's last 4 digits of their social security number.
- Essay will be scored between 1 and 10. One being the least and 10 the most. Great emphasis will be placed on the content, with punctuation and grammar secondary.
- TFA scholarship chairman will notify scholarship recipient(s) as soon as a winner is determined, no later than May 15.
- TFA treasurer will send scholarship directly to the school of the recipient's choice.
- A wallet-sized photograph of the scholarship recipient(s) must be provided for use in the scrapbook.
- Recipient(s) will be asked to attend the TFA Business Meeting at the SFFMA Conference & Convention in June to read their essays. A check made payable to the school of his or her choice in the amount of the scholarship and a certificate will be presented to the recipient(s). Attendance is not required, however it is encouraged.
Rules revised June 2010
For more information please contact Sara Gresham.